From 2 May, 1896, passengers could already use the newly built underground, as the work had already been completed and they had to try out the tracks and wagons.
The official opening ceremony was on 8 May 1896 when Emperor Francis Josepf took a trip from the Millennium Exhibition to visit the underground. With his entourage, he tried out this new means of transportation in a luxury car personally made for him, Coach No. 20. He travelled from Gizella terminal to the City Park. A marble plaque commemorates this illustrious day.