In 1895, the decisionmakers of the project could not decide whether they should have the stairs leading onto small structures above ground, or whether they should go through the already existing buildings. They finally decided on having decorated exit halls, and they posted a tender for designs. None of the received materials were good enough. Since the jury were not satisfied with the designs, bypassing the standard competition rules, they chose architects Albert Schickedanz and György Brüggemann, who were more than happy to take on the task.
The decoration of the pavilions on Gizella Square was designed by Albert Schickedanz and Ferenc Fülöp and was ornamented with Zsolnay ceramics and paragranite. The exit halls were built in Art Nouveau style, which was a huge sensation. The pavilions only stood for 15 years, because in 1911 they were demolished without trace. The city officials thought that it did not represent the changing landscape of Budapest. In the tunnel, green and brown Zsolnay ceramics covered the walls.